Cordial relations

I was given a huge bag of lemons from a mate who was pruning a tree.
An aunt has been regularly supplying me with homemade lemon cordial so I thought I’d give it a go.

Looked up several recipes and they are all pretty similar. Dissolve sugar in water, add lemon juice, then cook down.
Most recipes add ascorbic acid, I guess to replace the vitamin C that's lost during the cooking.
I’d like to retain as much of the natural vitamin as possible.
After a bit of research, I’ve discovered that it’s exposure to the air that destroys Vitamin C. Heat accelerates the process.

After a few practice runs, I’ve settled on this process...


  • I’m using raw sugar rather then the white processed stuff as it adds a nice malty taste.
  • Heat the sugar and water mixture and cook for a bit to reduce and get a bit of toffee vibe happening with the sugar.
  • Once cool, pour in the lemon juice.
  • Straight into a container with a sealing lid.


Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Spanish dolphins holiday (cont.)