Turning Japanise-ah : Takiyama


I really wanted to see the monkeys who sit in hot spring during japans snowy winter but it was way too early in the season for snow, so I scanned the Lonely Planet book, picked an interesting town that looked a bit out of the way, and journeyed up into the mountains to Takiyama. The train trip up was utterly picturesque. The scenery had a strong European vibe as the train wound its way up the mountains shadowing a major river.
The local specialty is buckwheat noodles and beef. Beef is a bit rear in Japan and it's expensive. I hadn't had a lot of meat during the trip and as I was ambling through the local street markets a rich smell suddenly assaulted my nose and saliva flooded my mouth. I followed the smell to a small cafe where little skewers of meat were sizzling on a grill. I bought three. Moved back out of the way of the next person in the queue, and immediately scoffed them.
One afternoon, I walked out of town and up into the hills where an out door history park has been constructed with antique houses rescued from the impact of a new dam. I was able to glimpse how people lived in ancient Japan. Lots of thatched roofs and I sat in smoky rooms drinking tea and nibbling rice cakes. If you visit at the right times, you can see artisans practice their crafts.
Just across the road from the park, I was surprised to discover an Art Nouveau museum. The building its self was quite modern and beautiful and it housed works of art from all over the world. Had a great coffee in the café and chatted to Japanese kids who wanted to practice their English.


LINKS


Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024