Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gra in Sydney

Last week I went down to the city to check out the parade.
I’ve seen it many times before. These days I tend to be more interested in what happens before, after, and on either side of the celebration.Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gra sydney 07



This event was originally a lot more political and there was a café on
Oxford Street (this is our famous ‘gay street,’ bit like Canal Rd in
Manchester or San Francisco ;-) that had all the previous years posters
that advertised the parade up on the wall.

It’s amazing to watch the progression from hard edges screen printed
‘calls for political action’ to glossy ‘let it all hang out dance party invitation.’

These days the event is all about the money. And Sydney has come to
expect big influxes of ‘pink dollars’ round this time of year.



Comments

  1. wow..I've never seen this kind of celebration before... gay street..should be something new.. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  2. [this is good] as a reformed homophobe I have to admit to lacking any understanding at all of the festival's real import. However, these days, whether it's because of age or more exposure to the homosexual ethos via my wife, I have a much better understanding of just why homosexually oriented persons have the need to promote their culture, their lifestyle and themselves as just ordinary members of a multi-faceted society.

    It's a shame our elected representatives can't be as open-minded as I'm proud to say I've become.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024