I have purchased a second battery pack for the chainsaw.





When I first got the Stahl, I found that the battery charged so swiftly, that I 'got by' on a job with having regular breaks while a fresh charge was forced back into the cells. Western society was built on the 'tea break'!

This is fine if I'm working within the general vicinity of a power point. This week I was 'off site'. The tree I was working on was a brute. I was within walking distance of my house but after the third visit to re-charge, decided that 'now' was the time to spring for an extra juice pack.


 The electric Stahl makes a lot less noise then a petrol engine (ear protection is optional) and I don't have to fool about with two-stoke fuel mixes.
I like that when I release the trigger, it's off. Not chugging away in neutral.
I still have to invest in chain lube, and I'm a bit surprised that no one has solved this issue with chainsaws. Teflon coated bars?


Two issues I have with the saw are problems associated with the battery.
The saw can't be used in the rain (or snow), and the battery compartment allows debris to collect in the well. This happens whether the battery is inserted or not.
Applying it to a sustained cut, rather then shorter blips drains the battery quicker. The second battery is going to be useful if I'm cutting larger diameter sections of wood.


There is a Forestry supply business up in Levin and I've bought a belt to attach my self to the tree I'm hanging off, and chaps (which make me feel like I've joined the Village People).

I think I'm petty much ready to take on most tree type scenarios.


Someone should re-make the Texas Chainsaw massacre, but out fit the monster with an electric chainsaw. The only respite the victims get is when he has to pop off to re-charge.




Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan