Spanish dolphins holiday (cont.)

Entry for September 24, 2006: god it’s good to be standing on a solid surface again.

We were desperate to get out and find some dolphins today, so we ventured out into pretty high seas.
We got hit in the face as soon as we rounded the breakwater.
I didn’t make use of the biggest toilet in the world, but others on board did.
In an effort not to repeat the entertainment of my first day out, I sat in the stern and moaned a bit.
I was eventually discovered, and half the women on board formed a queue to ply me with remedies.
It was a really sweet idea, but I felt like I’d been cornered by Macbeth's witches. I was wrapped in wet towels, fluffy ´pressure point´ bands encircled both wrists, chunks of ginger floated about in a mug of water in one hand, and a can of Coke bubbled in the other.
A patch had been applied to my sweat soaked neck, and I had swallowed a couple of pills of unknown origin.
I wish I could have been together enough to have enjoyed the attention.



There was a diesel spill on deck, followed by a crash from below decks. A large bottle of cooking oil had spilled in the kitchen. I was rostered on clean up.
Took me all afternoon to clean up the mess.
Upside was that today was when the dolphins chose to appear and we cruised amongst a pod of fifty dolphins for most of the afternoon, before being forced back to port to avoid damaging the ancient old ship.
When we got back to port, we all piled into the expeditions van. A message had been received by the captain that a baby Risso dolphin had been washed ashore by the weather.
It was dead when we arrived, despite the efforts of local volunteers who had been looking after the little chap all night.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Spanish dolphins holiday (cont.)