From Christchurch I had to ‘high tail’ it...

...up to Wellington where I was going to spend Christmas.
I boarded the TranzCoastal train at seven the next morning.
Was impressed to see that a free shuttle bus service was doing the rounds of the tourist accommodations, and picked me up from the hostel.
Found my seat and was chatting with a couple of locals, and we all agreed that (despite the odd shuttle bus) N.Z. isn't a cheap country to travel in (well possibly it is if you travelling with British pounds or Euros.)
I had some friends who decided not to hire a camper van (really popular way for people to travel around this country) this year, cause once the numbers were added up, a visit turned out to be too expensive. The locals I was chatting to wanted to hire a camper and drive around the islands, but they found it was cheaper to ‘jump the ditch’ and visit OZ instead.





This is some footage taken aboard the TranzCoastal train which travels up the East coast of the South Island of New Zealand.
At the rear of the train there is an open carriage and this is where I took this footage.
Overlaid some music just to keep things lively.
The train travels along the coast, through farm land, across rivers, and past mountain ranges.
And some Geology Byotch bait...
IMG_2051 copyIMG_2054 copyIMG_2067 copyIMG_2068 copyIMG_2112 copyIMG_2126 copyIMG_2175 copyIMG_2325 copyIMG_2365 copy




Comments

  1. Maureen Kirk-DetbernerJanuary 24, 2008 at 10:12 AM

    [this is good] Love seeing your part of the world. I've always wanted to visit NZ and Australia...hope to do it before i die.  Your photos are sure giving me the desire to act on my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning my trip to NZ now, and found your nice post. I just wonder why
    it is expensive to travel there. If I have EUR, it's going to be cheap according to your post. Why? Sounds ridiculous:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya,
    I guess I tripped up on my words.

    It's expensive if you do the camper van type tour. I did trains, borrowed a car, stayed in hostels, and cheap hotels so it was pretty cheap.
    The camper van is really popular over there, and I guess the locals take advantage of the limited supply to extract a bit more dosh from the traveler. Add that to the cost of the flights and I guess it gets to be a relatively expensive trip.
    It's cheap with he Euro cause of the obvious exchange rate differences.
    Renting cars can be a bit tense in High season too. The supply can run out and you'll be stuck with buses.

    I'm still working my way through the postings so please feel free to re-visit :-)
    How are you planning of traveling N.Z?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God! You are fantastic in your descriptions and in making photos! You made me trembling of desire to visit NZ!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan