Google maps : Offline functionality

Currently I'm traveling and I need to access maps to find my way around foreign cities.

Google now allows the Android user the option to define and download an area within the Maps App (beware of downloading too large a section of map).

Great I thought when I read the announcement! Travelling somewhere where your cell service doesn't provide coverage means the user can't access many of Androids functions without an active data link (such as on a plane or even if a tunnel breaks the data umbilical cord).

[Update] Yesterday I used the 'directions' feature while Online to plot out a path in maps, then switched over to Off-line. Unfortunately the 'path' wasn't retained when I re-opened the Maps App.

Unfortunately the only added functionality in this update is the ability to track your position on a downloaded map.
It would have been nice to have search and path finding included in the downloaded data...


Open the App and select your predefined map you want to view.



A map is displayed with the boundary marked. My position is marked but I can't access path finding or search for new addresses.



 I can get address info, but little else is saved in the off-line.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024