The fish wine story!

Years ago, I was on the way home from a Tai Chi session, and was thinking of giving it up. I started the lessons cause I thought it would help calm my mind, but I ended up being more manic from concentrating on trying to do the movements right. The concentration needed to empty my mind, made the exercise a bit pointless.

I stopped at a bottle shop to pick up a bottle of wine. At the time I was living with four flatmates and we would regularly have a group dinner on a Friday night. One of the housemates cooked, and everyone else bought along a bottle.
I scanned the shelves through the glass refrigerator doors, and saw a bottle of Italian white. The glass was shaped like a fish.

We were having fish that night.

'˜Kismit!' thinks I.


That night, when dinner was served, all were impressed when I banged the bottle on the table. We split the seal and shared it around. Everyone took a sip, and then looked at me.
I cracked up. The wine tasted like fish, or chemicals, or something that should be poured into a cars fuel tank. It was very funny looking back at everyone looking at me for a cue.

Luckily we had plenty of other bottles to sup, and the evil 'fish wine' ended up in the door of the fridge.
There it stayed for months, which was a novel thing for a bottle of plonk to do in that house.

The level in the bottle slowly dropped as invariably someone would come home drunk, forget how crap it had tasted, pour a glass, and then quickly realise that they weren't 'that' drunk.

When eventually emptied, it made a brilliant candle stick holder.

That was when I learned a great lesson in life.

Never base a wine purchase on the bottle or the label :-)



UPDATE: This dinner party happened pre-internet, but thanks to the power of Google image search I can now illistrate this story wlith a photo of the bottle.

This image was found on 
bottlebooks.com/forsale/fishbottles/fish_bottles

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan