Lemons and Blueberries


The house is built on top of a sand dune. Walk out into the garden and dig down more then five centimetres and you'll hit the same grey fine grained sand that is washed up onto the beach.
Lot's of soil improvement needs to be made before I can plant anything.
I dug up a long strip of the front lawn a couple of months ago. Since then I have been laying down chipped wood, seaweed, crushed pumice, and grass clipping, all the while giving everything a regular tilling. Looks like there is a worm population in there.

The six Yin Ben lemon trees that have been planted will eventually grow into a fragrant hedge. I've heard that lemons don't do well in Otaki Beach so I'm getting ready for a struggle to get the little plants established.

Most people plant the Mayer variety but I have read that they have a lower acid content and which isn't is less then ideal for cooking with. I'm hoping the more acidic and spiky Yin Bens will have a better chance surviving.


There is a spare lemon out the back where it's a bit more sheltered for a backup.  This is where I'm planning on establishing a small orchard.

Something is eating the leaves of the lemons. Specifically the new growth.
Or it could be that dispite a couple of months of improvement, the soil might be lacking something the plants need?




I've planted an O’Neil and a Petite Blue  next to the driveway. the blueberry patch has been mulched with coffee grounds and pine needles. It smells amazing after some rain.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan