Lemons, tomatoes, and zucchini

Something was eating the leaves and buds of the lemon trees.

I purchased some Neem oil and coated the plants each Wednesday for the past fortnight. Also weeded out the grass that insists on sending out shoots to compete for space. I'm finally getting some sprouts appearing.

I've also been throwing down liberal sprinkles of pot ash and some solid fertiliser balls in case the plants are lacking any minerals.

I admire their drive to reproduce. The plants are already trying to grow flower buds and I've discovered a few tiny lemons developing.

The first tomatoes have started to ripen. These were given to me by a local, and are known as  Hungarians. They were brought to the area by a Hungarian immigrant who has since passed on.

First zucchini flower of the year has appeared in the raised garden. I'm still working out how much watering the garden requires. It's very easy to end up with water dripping out all over the concrete.

The broccoli has been suffering a bit and the leaves are beginning to look like randomised lace-work. The other day I noticed an insect that looked like a big wasp chomping on a caterpillar so I have hopes that the plants might stage a comeback.


I've been a bit late with planting everything and have had no success with capsicums. I'm going to give basil another go before the summer ends.


Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan