Grape update: Jan



The grapes have started to ripen....

Which means my competition with the birds is on.

The local black birds don't seem to be concerned with how sweet the fruit is. They will happily eat the green unripe grapes.

I've noticed them swallow fruit whole so I don't think they care about taste.

Word seems to be being passed about. The number of visitors seems to be increasing as the month slips by.




I have been protecting individual grape bunches with plastic mesh bags.



Ran out of bags so tried to protect the rest with a net.

     


These birds are diabolically sly and managed to muscled through gaps.
I've purchased some more bags and now what is left of the crop has some sort of protection.
Found that the birds have now started to pull the bags off, so I'm securing them with clothes pegs.

   

Comments

  1. Ha, yes, I'm trying the same thing - haven't lost any grapes yet (I suspect the word hasn't got around yet...) and I too tried the "net over the whole lot" idea but realised it wasn't going to work. It's bad enough when they get in & eat your grapes, worse still if you have to extricate a trapped panicking bird, or disentangle a dead one :( Where did you buy your bags? I got gauze ones from the Gold Coin shop, but they're not very big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also raided the Gold Coin shop, but bought some shower loofahs made from plaited mesh - pick them apart and I get loads of mesh to put onto individual bunches. About the same mesh size as Dave's bags, I think. Also securing them with clothes pegs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so over the blackbirds! This year they have feasted on new baby rose buds, also the buds of my oriental lillies! We have a mesh enclosed vegetable garden and strawberry beds, but really don't want to have to enclose my flower garden 😱

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Spanish dolphins holiday (cont.)