Managing the abundance of summer

The zucchini and cucumber are drinking up the sun and rain and are fruiting like mad. As a response to the explosion, I’ve made piccalilli for the first time.

The idea to make this condiment came to me after I had decided I was bored with making zucchini fritters, zucchini omelette, zucchini chips, zucchini crustless quiche, etc.
The numbers of bottled cucumbers were advancing across the shelf so I needed a new spin. 


There is a half full jar of the commercial piccalilli sitting in the fridge. Maybe like mayonnaise, I can rid myself of another store bought product?

I harvested a large zuc that was making the bolt to marrow status, clipped a couple of cucumbers, and found a few capcicums that had survived the catapillers.

  


After the storms we had this month, I noticed several posts on Facebook from people who had lost tomato plants, and now had a heap of green tomatoes that they had to dispose of.

For my part, I've lost a couple of plants to stem rot.

I found this recipe for piccalilli which solves the problem of the zuc and cucs. and I can use up my green tomatoes.

Decided to include this monster tomato. It's been hanging around for months. It doesn't ripen, it just gets bigger. I'm losing patience.
It's like a huge green weight holding the plant back buy sucking up nutrients before they can climb higher.

When I split it open I discovered that it was mostly heart which was perfect for the purpose.

This is the River cottage recipe that I'm using...

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pams-piccalilli

I used to enjoy Huge until he 'jumped the shark'.
Probably around the time he cut his hair.

The veg needs twenty four hours in a salt bath so the next day I cooked up the spices in apple vinegar (it's also local http://www.coraltree.co.nz/). Once it had started boiling the kitchen filled with that classic piccalilli smell.
After sealing in jar’s the stew needs to ‘age’ so I can’t tell how successful I’ve been for another six weeks.

Stay tuned.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024