Third raised garden progressing slowly

My main problem is boredom. I really need to force myself to do work on this job. The weather looks like it’s going to hold for the next week so I’m doing a bit each day.

The cardboard layer is to slow the grass down. Hopefully it will also smooth out the bumps in the ground. The last two beds I built were ‘a proper hassle’ to line up before screwing together.

I’m laying out the beams to work out positions. They are a bit of a rough cut so I need to work out which is better on the bottom, and what I can lose when I cut to shape.

Next step is to sharpen the chainsaw. Another exciting job :-(


Comments

  1. What dimensions are you timbers, and what type??? May build a tribute garden in Burnie :-) while I'm locked down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christ! Well you did ask. Sorry if I 'run off at the mouth' :-)
      The timber is untreated macrocarpa. http://www.nzwood.co.nz/forestry-2/macrocarpa/ It's harder then pine and bora resistant.
      Not sure if we have it in Oz but you could probably find some sexy Tazzie hardwood that would do. Untreated cause you don't want chem leaching into your food, and do a bit of research if using other timbers. I hear that Walnut has chem defences that discourage other plants so you don't want it near any veges.
      Each sleeper is 100mm x 200mm. I find that 100mm is bearable to sit on while weeding and it needs to be a bit thick if untreated.
      I've read that most veg like 300mm of soil so these beds are 400mm high. I like a bit of a lip as the local black birds love to fling soil around when they are looking for worms.
      Each bed is wide enough that I can reach pass the middle from the side.

      Delete
    2. Thanks - good info. Had thought through the wood treatment risks. Hadn't thought through the weeding seat functionality :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024