It's becoming a cider world

Last couple of years, I've noticed that alcholic cider has started to 'take off'.
The rapidly expanding range of ciders has started to dominate the refrigerated cabinets in the local bottle shops.


Truly scrumpy?
Cider has boomed, but its success may be too sweet to sustain...
In lean times for alcohol, one drink has flourished. Consumption of alcoholic cider increased by 46% between 2002 and 2011 (see chart). The tipple is in a demographic sweet spot. A decade ago 35- to 44-year-olds were the biggest cider consumers; now 18- to 24-year-olds are. A generation reared on alcopops has taken easily to fermented apple juice.
www.economist.com



I started drinking cider back in the early nineties when it was pretty unfashionable in Oz.
I had a mate who I worked with and sometimes at the end of the day, we would occupy a couple of stools in a 'local' and he would get gently smashed.
 I didn't drink and this time. He decided that it was unacceptable behaviour and set out to find something a drink that didn't make me gag which was my main problem with consuming beer.
He decided that cider was a potential 'cherry popper' and I've not looked back since. These days I'll drink pretty much anything but beer.

I remember my mates all being beer drinkers, began supping a cider at the end of a nights drinking to 'clear the palate'.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Spanish dolphins holiday (cont.)