Sour dough bread from scratch : It begins

Recently Gary handed me a recipe for making sour dough bread from scratch. I'm a big fan of Sour Dough so I enthusiastically took on the project.

First up, I needed the peel from twenty apples. They were 'out of season' but Gary found a bucket load for a decent price at the Saturday markets.

The first problem was, what do we do with all the apple flesh, which for the first time, was a bi-product?

Lots of baking was the answer!
I churned out a Strudel, a pie, some sauce for pork, and we produced so many muffins we had to freeze most of them to keep them fresh.

Sour dough bread from scratch : Experimentation




 

Comments

  1. They all look great. I'll often mix up a large amount of muffin mix, bake what I need and freeze the remainder of the batter in tubs to bake at a later date. Dan Lepard has some excellent sourdough starters - a difficulty I've come across is that many of the starter recipes you'll find are geared more to bakery production rather than the home baker, and so starters require quite a lot of wasteful feeding of yoghurt / milk / flour / orange juice / insert whatever every day or so. I've had good results using a French levain starter, which only needs about 70g refreshment a day. ("Short and Sweet" and "Baking with Passion" are two excellent Lepard books.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Spanish dolphins holiday (cont.)