Awhi Farm : Turangi : New Zealand

This is the start of a new chapter in my travels around New Zealand.

I'm currently camped out in Awhi farm, which is in Turangi.

It's a sustainable showcase for energy, food production, and housing.
www.awhifarm.com


View Awhi farm in a larger map


I showed up around 2:00pm on a Monday, six weeks back, and I was put to work immediately digging up potato's. It was brilliant, grubbing up pink, gold, and purple tubers out of the soil that was almost black with fecundity. I'm staying here under the Woofing* arrangement, and I was glad that I could earn my evening meal that night.


Since then I've made bricks, some of which I've built into a dome, which is built on walls of packed earth bags.

I've also cooked several meals for the camp inhabitants. Meals are made mostly with produce grown on the property. So far the food has been freak'n amazing and we have decided to write a cookbook compiled from all the visitors experience in the guest book.

Building the dome
Compressed earth bag walls


Main road gardens

*WWOOF New Zealand is part of a world wide community that promotes awareness of ecological farming practices by providing volunteers with the opportunity to live and learn on organic properties. WWOOF is an enjoyable, educational and safe way to explore and get to know the people in the country.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024