A weekend of windfalls

Big couple o days in the garden. Large quantities of stuff appeared, and then disappeared. I also buried lots of stuff in the earth.




I thought I was getting 'soft garden' waste, but a mate appeared with a trailer full of bamboo. Terrible timing as I had just cut this years requirement from a garden down the south end of Otaki.

I mulched the leafy bits off the top and offered the canes to the Facebook community.
Managed to move the majority of it, and now I’m  trying to think of ways of using up the last of the pile.

On the left is my very rickety bean pyramid. I couldn't find any string but I thought I could use thin strips of flax! So apart from my personal effort, it was free. Might need to throw some more bamboo at it?


One of the people who took away a load of bamboo also grabbed a comfrey cutting. She left me with some red onion shoots which got planted and covered with lots of nice bamboo mulch.


What I like about this bamboo mulch is that it's really clean and a creamy colour like straw. I reckon it's reflecting light back up into the underside of the plants


 



The Fish Bits were given to me by a mate who had just been out on a boat. The stinky carcasses went into several deep holes I dug all over the property. I had to dig those holes pretty quickly cause the bucket was becoming a fly magnet in the heat. 
My garden is already too popular with the local moggies. This will only make it more attractive I guess.


I haven't had much luck with basil in the past,  so I’ve decided to hit the problem with overwhelming numbers. I planted 5 different sorts and a spinach medley.
These ‘ex packaging’ cartons are cardboard and will drop straight into the ground once the shoots have appeared and will rot away.



I had several varieties of  tomatoes sitting in the nursery waiting for the rain to fall.
Looks like that’s not going to happen in a hurry so I planted them out.

This is my tomato planting kit. That is a pile of comfrey waiting to go in the holes.
People freak out about it taking over the garden. The thing with comfrey, is that it tenacious and relentless. You have to use it just to keep it under control.
Don’t treat it like one of these plants that needs to be coddled. Now that the plants are a couple of years old, I rip them up and use them whenever I plant something. It can sit in a bucket to make a fertiliser tea, and the hard stems I’ll use as mulch.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024