Of tomatoes and zucchini




These are two of my favorite fruit and veg. How I plant, maintain, and fertilise my toms and zuc’s

  
Planting stuff
  • Dig a deep hole
  • Tip in a scoop Dave's Tomatoes Food
  • Rip up some comfrey leaves and scatter about the bottom of the whole
  • Drop a plant in on top
I also threw some ripped up comfrey in the hole before I planted the cucumbers and zuc's.

This year I let the plants mature in their pots for a bit before planting. I I stripped off any limbs running up the stalk, leaving enough at the top to continue growing.

The idea is to bury them as deep as possible to maximise root development.






These plants have been in the ground for a while and need a pruning.  I like to clip off all the lower leaves. Especially anything yellow or touching the ground.
Want to have lots of air moving about and room to plant basil.












In the photo on the right, there are the younger plants with what I call ‘hard mulch’ to slow down the birds. Some of the stakes are 3 metres tall. I’m curious to see how high I can get a tomatoes plant to grow?
I think there are ten different varieties in there.










The Zucchini I also planted as deeply as reasonable, with just a few leaves poking up above the surface.
The plants have just started to flower and fruit. This year it’s so dry that I haven't had to cut off any mouldy leaves.

Various fertilisers have been employed this week. I've been collecting seaweed all winter and ‘cracked open’ the brew today.




I’ve started making comfrey tea in some old water bottles salvaged from a cousins wedding.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024