This week in the bed



I did a bit more planting in the veg bed, and added to the wind protection out back.

I don’t know how apparent it is from this photo, but the eight zucs back there are ‘out of control' jostling for sunlight. I cut off the first members this week and there are lots of female flowers tracking the sun. Not so many male so I'm not hopeful of the plants restocking in a hurry.

Planted some Flour peas from Koanga. They reckon this type are good for grinding into flour. I'm looking for a chickpea type of vegetable that likes to grow in Otaki.

The plastic rings aren't there to stop the plant from opening its stitches. The plastic seems to deter the slugs. I also put one on this Capsicum when I did the peas.

In the past I’ve pulled slugs off the side of the plastic so I don’t understand how it slows them down.
Could be the sharp lip at the top?




I deliberately cut inside the curve on the bottom of the milk bottle when I did the blueberry and the bay tree in the hope that the slugs won’t want to bend upside down?

 

All the collared plants seem to be doing much better with the 'plastic fantastic ring o protection'.


Started a wind break along one border using akie akie purchased from Talisman Native Plant Nursery.

This is to slow down the Northerlies and any gusts that swing around from the West. Was waiting for it to rain but that doesn't look like it’s going to happen this month, so in they go.

You can see what's left of the huge macrocarpa break which used to overhanging most of the yard.


Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024