Covid 19 : Day one of lock-down: Bit weird

I'm not at work today because the government shut the country down.
All over Aotearoa there is no sport, no employment, no movies, no hanging out at the pub.
Home improvements are starting, and children are being conceived.

In the last couple of days everybody has been desperately polite. A smidgen of stress is adding a bit of edge to everybody's interactions.

When I woke up this morning, there was some wind and the occasional rain shower.

I lay in bed and through the open window I could hear somebody moving about. The neighbours on either side received firewood deliveries yesterday. Somebody must be transporting bits of log from the pile out on the street to a wood shed out back.

The air outside is filled with the sound of the surf, and that’s it.
It's amazing how much background noise, traffic adds to the environment. The most peaceful day of the week is usually a Sunday, but even then there's a background hum of cars and trucks. Even the modded Subarus and Holden's seem to be cooling their wheels today.

After twelve, the weather fined up and the neighbourhood got a lot more noisy as power tools were powered up.

Yesterday I popped into the restaurant where I used to work, to see if they needed any help shutting down for the duration.

They were clearing out fridges and adding a bit more security, in case people got a bit desperate. Someone might break in and pilfer from the stores of free range prosciutto or locally crafted artisan bread. I had my last decent coffee for a while and left them to build their fortifications.

Extra precautions sounded like a good idea. I’ve been collecting pallets over the past week so I spent a bit of time today, working out how I will protect my cache, from bands of roaming zero waste desperados.





Each pallet is a different shape so I’ve arranged them on the concrete pad, so I can move amongst them and work out which project each would be suited to.

The day ended with more showers. I’ve heard that during the day, some local nitwits were congregating down on the beach in their cars.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024