Gdrive has launched : Online storage and traveling

This is a good thing for travellers.
I installed it this morning and I like that it hooked straight into my Google Docs account and synced all the data to my laptop. Seems to also work 'offline'?
When I travel I'm planning on using it to store Word docs, images, and video.

I've been following this 'cloud storage' thang for a while now.
I had a 'Net Drive' back around the early 2000's when I was travelling around Europe. I don't remember what the facility was called but I was storing photos and Word docs there.

It got closed down and I've been reluctant to use online storage ever since.
Why?



Cause when the online drive I was using closed down, it took all my data with it.
I was in Turkey at the time of the closure and even if I had been able to access Email to see the warning notices that the facility was sending out, I wasn't in a position to do anything with the data.
I got back to the U.K. and found that the site had closed taking all my material with it.

I thought that the size of the company was the issue, and dipped my toe back in the water when I used a small drive facility on Yahoo's briefcase. This got closed down too, although this time I was able to download my data.

I've had major concerns about using Dropbox despite it's popularity, mainly from past experience having these online storage facilities disappear out from under me.

It looks like I'm also going to score some online storage when my Adobe CS suite gets upgraded to version 6.

I'm hoping that Google is 'to big to fail' and the data I store on Gdrive will be secure.
Be warned, that once your data is on one of these 'online storage' servers, you lose a degree of control over that data.
I'm going to make sure I back up my data to personal storage every couple of months.

Google could help put my mind to rest by introducing an option to have all the contents of my Gdrive available to be poured into transportable storage and couriered to an address on request.

[Update]

Ahhh look at that. Gdrive has auto-magically appeared in my Androids 'update' list. This is nice but my main prob is going to be accessing Gdoc data with my Android. Google off line support for Docs is woeful.

Main problem I can see with Googles 'Net storage' solution is fracturing across all it's properties. Gmail and Gdocs all seem to be tied into Gdrive but what about Picasa and YouTube?



[Update]

 And then articles like this don't inspire confidence...
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/how-far-does-google-drives-terms-go-in-owning-your-files/75228

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Spanish dolphins holiday (cont.)