Day 1: Where I start the adventure

I have purchased a camper and filled it with food. I'm starting my New Zealand odyssey in Woodville, as I'm a fan of wind farms, and this little town sits at the foot of a big one. The wind driven turbines are scattered like 'mega' daisies across the surrounding hills

This little town is little more of a 'passing through' sort of destination, and has more then a few second hand stores scattered about if you feel like stretching your legs before getting back in the car and continuing to your destination.

There is free Wi-Fi at the Info site and local library.


View Woodville camping in a larger map

Woodville camp site

The local camp site is simply a field behind a sports facility, in the middle of this tiny town. Pay for your stay at the local Caltex (marked on map). When I was there it was $5 which scores you a spot to park, and access to shower and toilet. Electricity is extra.





The only other occupant is another single guy, also in a van. He was sitting in a chair next to his van reading a paper when I pulled into the grassy field.

I'm surrounded by a fence. Beyond that, houses. I'm amused that my first night out on the road and I'm camping in the middle of suburbia.

I've stopped off here so I can film the wind turbines. I have a couple of cameras that I've suction cup mounted to the roof of the van. I drive up into the hills to shoot some video of the wind turbines
Returning to the campsite, I unpack the food prep gear. Cast iron skillet, butane stove, utensils.

A cousins wife has given me some Zucchini and a recipe for Ratatouille, so I splashed in some oil into the skillet and cook up the Zucinni with some slices of capsicum, and onion. An addition to the recipe is a chopped up Chirizo.

Pretty good I thought, for a first time.

Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan