Day 8 : Culture Vulture


The camp site was silent last night??
I expected Saturday night to be 'pumping' but I'm not sure the pub was even open?
Could it be that it only opens for Friday night Karaoke?
I was woken by the clanking of freight trains on the bank of the river.

Final day exploring Wanganui

Watched kids jumping into the river from the bridge. The city feels like a country town this morning. Turns out the river changes colour with the tide. As I was walking across it to get to the towers on the other bank, I noticed a line in the water, made I assume by the advancing tide pushing the brown river water in land.


Whanganui Regional Museum
Museum had an admission charge which was a shock, but an interesting collection including an enormous Maori canoe
There were some African artefacts on show, interesting comparing them with the Maori.
Also some Bits from china, and a bug room.
$8 admission
www.wrm.org.nz



Sarjeant gallery
Free entrance and had the look of a vibrant institution, above the normal standard one would expect from a small city gallery.

www.sarjeant.org.nz







I'm leaving Wanganui and heading up the coast, looking for Forgotton hwy
Drive through Hawera with huge mysterious water tower erupting from the grassy cover of a local park in the middle of town.
I saw the tower and was drawn to it, like something from out of Lord of the Rings (ha ha).
Was please to find an Info Site at it's base where I chatted to the staff to get my bearings, and a library across the road where I was able do update my destination on my phones maps.




Comments

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan