Covid 19 : Day 28 of lock-down : Ok, I’m ready for it this time

It’s the end of another week! Woot!
The Govt has made moves to bring the country out of lock-down.
Baby steps though mos def!
Today there was a bit of cooking, and a bit of gardening.

I had a few granny smiths off the tree this year. I cooked some muffins and boiled up the cores and skins to extract the pectin. I’m planning on using the pectin to thicken up some grape juice I’ve got in the freezer.

     


The cabbage tree in the front yard has started to get a bit big 



So I pruned a few trunks.



This spot in the back fence cops the Southerly when it blows. It roars straight through the five apple trees I have there. I’m throwing the prunings here in the hope they ‘take’ and I’ll get a plant growing that will break up the wind a bit.

Comments

  1. Dave, I don't think they're cabbage trees, they're yuccas, and a really dangerous plant (do they have sharp spikes on the end of the leaves?) we have loads of them and they're a bit of a pest, though lots of people do put them in. They'll root like crazy from those cuttings, and suck all the goodness out of your soil. Be very careful around them, always cover your ears and eyes, I've already almost perforated an eardrum from mine. Try to remove the leaves to above head height to avoid injury. Or get the dang things out and plant real cabbage trees (remove all the cuttings from your section)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info:-) I'm on sand so it's hard to find things that will thrive without lots of soil conditioning. The wind is also a prob so I need something that will survive a pummelling. I'm restricting these plants to the perimeter of the property and treating them almost like a fence.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You also might like...

Hostel : Glasgow : Night moves

Grape update: Jan

Winter garden established for 2024